The Foundation Correale of Terranova was founded in the 1902 graces to the testamentary legacies of Alfred and descending Pompeo Correale of a family of Accounts sorrentina.
It came so founded the actual Museum entitled with their name inside her “Villa to the Rota” of their ownership, with the order to entertain their collections of pictorial and decorative art. The donation Correale includes besides a garden and a vast rustic fund, whose incomes, for wish of the Founders, they have to contribute to the maintenance of the corporate body.
The Museum, inaugurated in 1924 by Giovanni Gentile, you/he/she is divided on three floors with 24 rooms. From the terrace of the villa a beautiful panorama enjoys him, open on the Gulf of Sorrento, he passes then to the garden of the Museum, a calm walk among secular plants and platans that it conducts to a belvedere that falls to precipice on the sea
The museum has the form of a rectangle, that introduces to the plain earth, on the principal façade directed two leaning bodies to west,; to the center there are three arched spans and with edged pillars. The middle span frames the portal of entry that introduces an arc to everything order and piedritti with smooth ashlars The coat of arms of the Correales it is in marble and you/he/she is set on the key of time of the arc.
Symmetrically in comparison to this central motive, they stick out in before, forming an open court toward the road, two low bodies that act from terraces to the noble plan of the building.
To the plain earth the archaeological section can be visited that proposes to the visitor a rich testimony of the ancient history of Sorrento. The finds go up again to the imperial age, a graven macaw is present around four sides with commemorative episodes of the inauguration of the temple of Dresses on the Palatine one; on it there was probably a statue devoted to August. In the room besides finds can be admired coming from the necropolises of the Peninsula Sorrentina, fragments of plutei, graven amboni to pegasi, griffons and eagles risalenti to the IX - XII century.
Always in the rooms of the plain earth paintings are exposed and you furnish. The pictorial section proposes the portrait, risalente to the second halves the sec. XIX, that represents Alfred Correale, the Angelic wife De ' Physicians and the count Pompeo Correale. There is to the right the genealogical tree of the family and the livery of the surname. Valuable it is also the section of the you furnish with chests and Neapolitan comodini of the XVII century, with musical tools and handles in French enamel; chairs and trumeaux style Luigi XV. They are to admire the chairs, tables and panels of the tarsia sorrentina, gift of the writer Silvio Savior Gargiulo. Rich the collection of French clocks and English of the XVII-XIX century, glasses of they Wall up and Boemia, silvers of the Seven hundred one.
From the left side of the atrium it is accessed the staircase of honor that brings to the superior plans, drawn during the ‘700 from the Regal Engineer Giovan Baptist Nauclerio. The landings are embellished by balusters in piperno with motive for volutes.
To the first floor they are two the sections that can be admired: the pictorial one and that of the porcelains. The pictorial section proposes portraits of gentlemen and dames as well as landscapes.
They are of matrix caravaggesca her “Pity” of A. Vaccaio and Sant'Ignazio. The landscapes are Domenico's Gargiulo and “Marina with fishermen” of Salvator Rosa.
In the section of the porcelains there am oriental orcellane of the seccs. XVIII-XIX. To the entry of the second floor, a splendid I furnish from pharmacy, Neapolitan job of the Seven hundred one, contains part of a service of dishes in maiolica of Marsiglia, (second halves the century XVIII), Manufacture Veuve Perrin.
To the second floor pictures of the school of Posillipo are exposed (Baptist Giovan Ruoppolo, Andrew Belvedere, Gaetano Cusati). You school was formed from Neapolitan artists and foreigners. These last, in fact, comes in Italy on the wave of the Grand Tour they painted on the place of the small pictures that you/they represented with vivacity of colors and immediateness the characteristics of the landscape sorrentino and Neapolitan.
The family Correale
The last name “Correale” it postpones to the Byzantine dukedom where, since the X century, it was present an Ordo curialum or rather a guild of curial, professionals to which power certificatorio was given and probative in the editing of documents public and private.
According to the historian Francesco Pansa, the first Correales, installed him during the XIII century to Sorrento, they originated from the city of Staircase. To the family it was granted the donation burgensatica of a territory demaniale July 13 th 1428 from the Queen Giovanna II of Angiò. The denominated territory “Head Cervulo” it extended him from the first Door of Sorrento up to the sea. The privilege was confirmed by Ferdinando of Aragon with a diploma of November 4 th 1481 to Nicola Correale.
On Head Cervolo the Correales run over notable sums of money and they succeed in making to become him/it a merchant dock, envied by the other families sorrentine.
In the 1535 Onofrio Correale he/she marries Ippolita Red de, sister of Porzia, mother of the famous Torquato Tasso, whose written original they are preserved in the library of the museum. Subsequently, in the 800, the Correales introduce him as a noble family that he/she lives between Naples and Sorrento, devoted to cultural and worldly affairs. The Correales are recorded in the Register of the closed Plazas with the title of “Accounts of Terranova.”
From Francis's Maria Correale marriage with Maria Clelia Column they are born in the 1827 Alfred, and in August 1829 Pompeos.
Particular attention was devoted Correale to the education of his/her/their brothers, that, besides, they took lessons of sketch from international teachers of the epoch as Theodore Duclère and Giacinto Gigante. In the decade 1858-68 Alfred and Pompeo Correale, unmarried trentennis, complete a series of trips to Europe. Endowed with a baggage of education-documented in the register of notes and expenses held by his/her/their mother, Clelia Column Correale - constituted by lessons of Italian, French, English, music, song, dance and sketch, as well as law, mathematics and physics; then well equipped also to know the modern European taste for the arts applied westerners and Oriental, they stir for visiting, among the other, the Parisian Museum Cluny, that London of Kensington, the industrial museum in Turin.
But another event, that surely contributed to suggest to Alfred and to Pompeo the idea of their ‘museum it was the national exposure of Belle Arti of Naples in 1877. The greatest worth of Alfred and Pompeo it was that to think about the collectivity and those that would have come after them. The two brothers desired to make partecipe the public of the extraordinary wealth, really in virtue of the variety and oneness of objects, of the collection of family, that was given therefore together with his/her own house in the city of Sorrento. Pompeo Correale dies single April 12 th 1900; his/her brother Alfred, married in 1878 with Angelic de of the Principles of Ottajano, dies August 16 th 1902.